Thursday, July 28, 2011

Plow Capital

Maysville, Kentucky, for several decades, was the plow capital of the world. Pig iron from Pittsburgh, and they cast them there, in the tens of thousands. Shipped off to Cincy, then down the big river, dropping them off at every stop, especially after the civil war. You had to have a plow. I was telling Sara and D about the trade, off-loading plows and loading on bales of cotton. A lot of the cotton was shipped overseas, and Sara asked how. By sail, of course, until steam, but I didn't know when that was, and I knew nothing about the diesel engine. Rufus (something R) Diesel, 1893. The sense of empowerment that comes with having an office, a computer (a piece of shit, but nonetheless), and a high-speed connection is dizzying at times. The largest diesel engine, right now, is a Warsila Marine that generates 108,920 horsepower. It drives, of course, oil tankers. The illustrious Norwegian ship Fram, 1910, was equipped with an auxiliary diesel, the first ocean going craft thus. We lit the steamboat show. We changed out a locking door-knob assembly on a door that leads into a gallery. I've installed hundreds of door-lock assemblies, it's one of the mindless tasks at which I'm a master; but this lock assembly had pieces I'd never seen before, I don't have names for them. D does all of the work, I just stabilize the door and watch. I'm not only a great reader, I'm also a great watcher. No one that knows mwould challenge that. Still, maybe, I miss the point. I misunderstand everything, as a matter of curse. Course, right, what I meant to say. I can't even talk to myself.

No comments: