Thursday, February 2, 2012

Further Logistics

Big push starting tomorrow, despite the fact that the folk art show doesn't open for a month. Ten thousand things to do. Brought up some pedestals and organized the rest so that I could get to the ones I need and still have room to store all the boxes that the show came in. Then TR and I loaded the elevator completely full, and I mean completely full, floor to ceiling, and got them all to the basement, and stacked them all there, in their designated slot. I've got a little Girl Scout show to install in the smallest gallery next month, and I hate having to move things more times than absolutely necessary. A good phone call from Sara, about arranging the folk art show (which is called "Outsiders In Ohio"), after I'd spent some time in the (literal) vault, where we keep the permanent collection, digging out some of Carter's work. Re-hanging those galleries maybe tomorrow or Saturday, because I have to clear some things off my plate. I come home to chili on toast with a fried egg on top, such a great meal, it has that whole 'trencher' thing going for it, where the bread soaks up all the liquid and becomes delectable. Ever since reading Chichester's "Voyage of the Gypsy Moth" and especially after Tim Roth's great TV series (did they cancel it?) "Lie To Me" I've been a big fan of eating things on toast. I've always eaten some things on toast, notably certain mushrooms and a wide variety of sea foods, but now I'll eat anything on toast. Fried bananas over a melted layer of peanut butter is very good, a can of sardines with a topping of stinky cheese, the meat pulled from Chinese frog-legs with garlic butter, chipped beef in gravy, even plain with maybe an exotic jam. I could recommend a hedge fond. Water-cress with a white balsamic. Lunched with a great guitarist today, he's going to play at the pub February 11th and he wanted me to be there. I love to hear him play, so I'll probably stay in town that night. He's loose, and free-form, makes some mistakes; it's my favorite kind of music. The major way you learn is from mistakes, success only teaches you to expect shelled pistachios in a bowl, roasted squash seeds with a side of goat cheese. I was so comfortable in the shirt I wore today, that I'm going to wear the exact same thing tomorrow, dirty socks and all, to see if the next day could possibly come out the same. Walking up the driveway with a light pack, a waxing half-moon over my shoulder, knowing the chili-toast thing is going to happen. The second of February and I don't need a fire, unbelievable, as usually, this night of the year, I'd be burning the stove as hot as it could go. I'm fine on firewood even if-when we get a serious bout of cold weather; it's not difficult to keep from dying, as long as you're reasonably mobile. Walking in, this afternoon, I was struck extremely by the mediation that layer of insulation provided me, how walking in allowed me to decompress. 2/2/22, the publication of "Ulysses" and that probably doesn't mean anything. Just throwing it into the mix.

No comments: