Wednesday, February 8, 2012

There's That

Nothing is a possibility. Everything built on a hedge. Phrases running through my head, while TR and I re-hang some Carters. Great work if you can get it. I love going to the vault and pulling out some paintings I haven't seen in a while. We hang one painting, "River Boat Pilot", an oil, that has a high value, but when we get to the watercolor bay, I let TR do the math and make the marks, we hang together, because I want a hand on the work, but the only way to learn is to do. He's deliberate and delicate: it works, for this business. Even those watercolors, now, have a history with me: I know from Mary's letters, exactly when one of them was painted, the very day. For a show in Cleveland. I think I probably tend to over-think things. One of these pieces, a drawing, had never been displayed before, kind of a treat to hang that. First time, and all. TR is fixated on 'level' and I'm not, so I let him level everything, he's better at it than me. Server went out so I had to stop writing. Snow coming down was lovely in the pools of streetlight. I went for a walk. Ended up at the pub. A comic morning, snow, so no receptionist, and TR ends up at the desk. He's emailed Darren about the confusion we're having getting a color nailed down for the signage walls. Same color as the background in the catalog, a kind of brick red. We all have the document, on our computers, but every one of them prints out in a different shade. D calls and gives us two names 'Thiondagaid Red' (what?) and 'Warm Red Oxide', both of which are awful names for a color, and neither of which we can find in any swatch-book we own. Fortunately, the post card announcement for the show came in, and it uses the same color (as dictated and printed from D's machine) and Ron, at the Porter Paint Store, can scan from that. I'll get a gallon of semi-gloss tomorrow and get started. It might cover in two coats. Red is the most difficult color to paint a wall. I touch up most of the Carter walls, but I need to repaint two of them. Blue painter's tape, which we use to hold up the labels, now marks the walls, it never did before. They've clearly changed the glue. I'm having some trust issues with the tape industry right now. I use a lot of tape, and I have my criteria. Goddamn executives, that ain't never tried to tape a box shut, should keep their hands out of the glue pot. There's residue now, that I have to sand off, what's that about? What are they making this shit from? used kitty litter and spent transmission fluid? Actually, probably, yes, something like that. The traditional light source is upper left, I'm not sure why that is, maybe it's simply a convention, but it might mean something. Like a diminished chord might, or just a touch of red on her lips. Means I face the sunrise, as I look at the geometry, which is usually true, also that the full moon rises over my left shoulder. Always, I'm a stickler for this. It's a long history of everyone sacrificing everything for the commonweal. Give me a full-moon over my left shoulder and I'll go the extra mile.

No comments: