Sunday, February 26, 2012

Small Things

I couldn't help but notice. It's like a whirlwind that gathers in the lee of the Masonic building. A trash bunny. The other day it was carrying plastic trash bags up 50 feet or more. Walked out to the graveyard this morning and there was one of those Venturi generated whirlwind effects happening in the hollow to the NW. Swirling leaves. Justin came out from town for his first cooking lesson. We prepared and roasted root vegetables: parsnips, turnips, carrots, a sweet potato and some baby red potatoes, tossed in olive oil with salt, pepper, and some dried rosemary. I slightly froze a pork tenderloin so we could cut it into medallions, then pounded those and lightly rubbed them with a mixture (always a mystery, depends on what's at hand) that didn't include anything you'd put in an apple pie. Seared quickly in very hot olive oil, until they showed a little color; with the sauce, boiled and tempered with some juice; some bread, dipped in olive oil. It was good. The parsnips were particularly good, they'd been kissed with frost and weren't from Peru. After a frost the starches start converting to sugars. I love parsnips and turnips in the wintertime, sweet and earthy. Which, if I ever developed a perfume, would be alone those lines. That smell of a dancer, after practice, before she hit the shower, with an undertone of sweet southern flower, Gardenia maybe. Just thinking. Imagining smell is a lot like visualization. It's a complete fabrication, but it allows entry into a thought process. What if that? What language lacks is a voice. I've been studying this for awhile, the way we fail to communicate. I thought about writing a book, but I'd already done that, and now I'm afraid of heights. Small smile on my face, because I wouldn't want for anything to be different, I met a lot of the players and I never developed a cocaine habit.To be honest, I might have, but I never had enough money. If I had ever been elected to the Supreme Court, I would have reversed some decisions, and been a general pain in the ass. Goes, as they say, with the territory. Thinking politically. I question all of this, believe me, I question everything; when it comes to push versa shove.

No comments: