Thursday, March 14, 2013

Anything in G

Anything in G. Afro-pop. The Nigerian music scene. I get up to pee in the middle of the night and the trees are vibrating. The fox is there, yipping from the far side of the compost heap. I only imagine I understand what she says, Kori. Persephone, Demeter. The language of the street, the god that looks both ways. Janus. Just saying. She dips her head and directs that I would follow. You can't not. Attraction, as it happens, can be a single joint, an ankle, as it happens. "Living With The Law". Big sky country. Love you in your second skin. Hallelujah. A voice comes in on top of the bass line. You can almost understand it, but there's too much reverb and meaning means less than it should. A sharp hard female voice. You want to get to know her. So inclined. Cat got your tongue. My music guy told me Paul was completely bogus. I tend to agree. I mostly listen to Bach, and women that sing the blues. My mail is backed up because of a shortage of telephone. Frontier says it will be restored by tonight. D stayed home sick today. I got a few things done. I just wanted to get home, but the alley crew was working late to get the forms set for tomorrow's pour, so I hung around. Read some Carter letters, thought about what questions I'll ask John Carter when Sara sets up the time when I can call him. The last of that generation of the Carter clan. I could do a genealogy, I've got the tools and I know the format. I linotyped thirteen generations of the Nickerson Family, who came over on the Mayflower, and there were like eleven sons in that second generation. It was great fun actually. I got paid per page, and after I'd gained enough skill, I could operate that machine as fast as it could operate. I could set a 48 page book of poetry in a day, proof it, make one set of corrections, that would be another day, and in two days the type-setting was done. This is a liberating factor, when it comes to doing longer books. It's not hand set, which is an art, but it's lead type that makes an impression upon the page. Not a picture of something, an embossed copy. Some of us draw a distinction there. Poetry reads better in letterpress, it reminds you of the beat, the stress. but for all the rest, print it whatever way is cheapest, being, of course, as green as possible. I wanted to stay in town, go our to the pub for "Business After Hours" for a couple of free beers and Tony Sherman's excellent cooking. But I came home instead, to walk up the hill, with my left-over lunch, and send a couple pf paragraphs. It's what I'm happiest doing.

No comments: