Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Hanging Art

Back in the saddle, and it feels good. I love hanging shows. This one is difficult, a lot of the pieces don't have hanging hardware, and on some that do, it's attached badly; and the frames are a uniform black channeled metal which is not quite strong enough because the pieces are so large. So large that they require two people to physically hang. D off teaching, so I work a few hours with TR. We both sputtered at first, on the math, then memory returned and we had a fine time. After he left I did the wall hardware for several more pieces. We should finish tomorrow, then get back to painting walls on Friday and Saturday. At four-o'clock a class came over from the University, Anisa's class, art history, her classes always have to write a two page paper on one of the Carter's. I always tour them, and three or four of the eighteen students, on average, will come back to pick my brain about a particular painting. It's great fun. One or two of them, this time, actually seemed to have a clue. One thing I notice, with the students, is that they're amazed to find someone enthusiastic about art. I rattle off factoids and point out detail, make them look closely; at one point today I went and got my magnifying glass and had them look at the way the wood was painted on the trim in "Chickens Through The Window". They either understood what I was saying or understood that if you wore the correct hat, you could get away with murder. Just that one time, I may have taken the initiative, led them to believe something that wasn't true. First day of spring. Really? Basho pocks on the snow for meaning. listen, really.

No comments: