Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Concrete Pour

Went in early yesterday, cold, flurries, but a large crew assembled for the pour. Chaos reigning supreme. Guys tracking crap inside makes for a pretty mess. They set the posts for the big wrought-iron gates at the north end of the alley. They're a good crew, with two older guys, almost my age, who are excellent concrete finishers. Always a treat to watch someone do something well. The security guys were installing cameras all day, trying to figure out how to run their cables (a nightmare in an old bank) without drilling through 24 inches of concrete. Andrew stayed late, to guard the new pour against vandals and the stray dog. So I stay in town, go over to the pub for a beer, argue ethics with an nihilist person, that I know to speak to. Hit the ground running this morning, D was there and he was hot to get some things done, so we did, worked our asses off. D has a very strong work ethic. I'd rather think about those late Sargent watercolors, late in the day, when I'm putting away my tools. But he wants to paint another wall. Forgets I'm twice his age. We paint that wall, and I'm all in, beat, exhausted, whipped; I'm a little concerned I might have taken things too far, the walk in, tonight, was right at the limit. I knew it would be, I was physically depleted. I need a bench, about half--way up the driveway, where I could stash a water bottle and maybe a tin of fruit, a wee dram of Irish against the gathering gloom. I know just the spot, I stop there, every time I walk in, lean against my mop-handle, Basho considering the possibility of green. We see him in silhouette. Whatever we call that March moon. It's tracking through a muddled sky. A din chorus of frogs. I assume this is the nature of reality. What I wanted to do was pull out my 55 gallon contractor bag, crawl inside, and take a nap, in the rut of the road. Not even make it to the top. T. Bridwell, he did pretty well, he started back toward the top. All of my major joints are complaining. I get to the house, start a fire, this is rout, doing what needs to be done. I have to smile, what needs to be done. Pause. I assume you're not. I have to go to bed.

No comments: