Thursday, August 29, 2013

Good Vibes

An excellent day at work. I got all of the things done that were on my list for the day, mostly due to TR's help, he was a brick. Fine to work with, and a treat to lunch with. Sara's back, for Darren's opening, and that's another treat, and M and C are in fine fettle. It's what could be described as a perfect museum day. Conversations about upcoming shows, general banter, pointed criticisms. I love this stuff. Right after I got home a squall moved through and I harvested fifteen gallons of wash water in fifteen minutes, which is very cool, because I was out of wash water. Some days everything works perfectly. I was on the front desk for an hour today, reading a book on the Renaissance, and found a word I had never heard before: the wooden cage, that a disgraced cleric would be hung in, over the public square, was called a cheba. I haven't researched the word yet, and won't have time until after D's opening; also that there was a Roman god named Syphilus, stricken with the disease for offending Apollo. Fucking Romans had gods for everything. Venice, 1500, was a bustling town, there weren't many options for a farm girl. STD's were rampant. I need to get some accurate numbers on this. I've read so much about the Renaissance recently, that I can't remember where I read certain things, but, as always in human history, there was a seedy side. On the bright side, both of my daughters might be here at Thanksgiving, with one or more significant others, and I give my lecture on "The Origins Of The Renaissance" the 17th of November. I got Pegi to order me my own copy of "The Swerve", used, paperback,$7.08, today, on the company dime. Completely overcast dawn. I fry some diced fingerling potatoes in a mixture of butter and olive oil, top them with a perfect fried egg, slice a beautiful tomato, sprinkle everything with white balsamic vinegar, and sop up the remains with a piece of toast. I suppose it could be said that I have a temper. I suspect we all do. I've suffered bouts from even my closest friends. In my universe it's ok that someone, anyone, would occasionally go off the rails. I do it myself, and therefore allow it in others. It's already tomorrow, I have to make coffee and shave.

No comments: