Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Hanging

I wore very funky clothes to work, thinking I'd be in the basement all day again, but Charlotte had set the show, and I got to hang it solo. Had to redo all the hanging hardware because D, of all people, had used D-rings that weren't up to the task. Even so, I got the whole show hung, and it looks very good indeed. Labels and lights tomorrow. I love installing shows, it's such a satisfying activity. Raced home, to beat the rain, and achieved the ridge just as the first thunder-boomers moved in. No rain yet, and I need to harvest some wash water. I hope it rains before midnight, so the driveway can dry out. I think I've arrived at a recipe for the rabbit dinner with TR and Megan, I have to see how they feel about root-vegetables and wherein they're comfortable with heat. It's a big rabbit, TR brought it in on Tuesday, 3 to 4 pounds, I didn't see any giblets (it's frozen). I'm thinking I'll roll it in a seasoned cornmeal, and brown the pieces, then cook it for another hour on a bed of parsnips, turnips, onions, and potatoes that had been partially roasted. It would have to be good, done that way. And I have the sauce. Almost every recipe I've read talks about brining the critter in something acidic. I think apple cider might work, a spiced apple cider. Maybe some apples in with the root-vegetables. I'm excited about this meal because I actually have the rabbit, in the freezer, it's not something I'm just imagining. When I'm buying root-vegetables, I'm a careful shopper, I slice off a bit, with my pocket knife, to see if the starches have converted; a parsnip or turnip that's endured a couple of frosts is prime. At first, the produce guy at Kroger hated me, then he understood what I was doing, and now we sample vegetables together. I can usually talk someone into my way of thinking.

No comments: