Saturday, August 24, 2013

Jugged Hare

These recipes vary, but they all involve an acidic marinade for up to 72 hours, which I suppose is the 'jugged' part of things, patting dry, dredging in something (gluten free in this case, I have several excellent corn meals), browning, then stewing on a bed of onions and celery. The entire concept is based on shooting a rabbit of indeterminate age and making sure it's edible, but I think I can adapt it to my needs. Now, I'm thinking, polenta, and a salad of tomato slices with mozzarella and a white balsamic dressing with walnut oil. Variations. It all depends on what's at the farmer's market. At five AM I turn on the news, NPR, and there are immediately all these issues of privacy. I'm not a terrorist, all my guns have been stolen, the only nitrogen I have in excess is my piss, I couldn't make a bomb if you paid me. I actually could, anyone of average intelligence could, you mix some things together and ignite it somehow, but I have no intent to make a bomb. When I got home yesterday there was a large oak tree down, across the upper part of the driveway, so I just backed down (it took a while), turned around, and headed back to tow. Stopped at Kroger for sushi and a bottle of whiskey, went to the museum and watched some shows on Hulu. Kind of fun, in a brain-dead way, I should have watched a movie. I forget about movies. Got the labels all mounted and affixed to the walls, then the lighting today. Went over to the pub after work, to have a draft and wish John Hogan himself a happy birthday. When I got home, I went ahead and drove a third of the way up the driveway where's there's a relatively flat place, left the vehicle and walked another third of the way up, to the curve, and I could see that B had cleared the tree. I thought he might wait until tomorrow, when I could help, but he probably did it this morning, before he went off to teach. Walked back down, got the Jeep, and drove on in. Hot day, and I have to run the AC for Black Dell, so I eat some left-overs while I'm waiting, and read an essay about punctuation. Microsoft prefers hyphens; Apple leans more toward distinct words or that compound word that says it all. Pantryhose, for instance. I don't care, for the most part, sometimes it does make a difference, but usually it doesn't. What is said. Backing down the driveway, a jugged hare for sure. This could never be repeated in a classroom. Kzoywzakski, I remember in particular (once I remembered how to spell his name), because we'd sit for hours and argue shades of meaning. Panty hose, becomes panty-hose, becomes pantyhose. This is no small thing. It concerns familiarity and the need for definition. Once there were stockings and garter belts (not a bad look) but it was needlessly complex, and with the advent of stretch fibers it was possible to simplify the process of 'dressing' by eliminating the hardware. No small step. Panty-hose. Then it becomes a ubiquitous part of culture and we have the word pantyhose. Sitting here tonight, writing, listening to bugs and frogs, considering the way a particular compound word entered the language, I'm deeply happy.

No comments: