Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Booze Run

I've been tasked, assuming my other tasks, with inventorying the booze and replenishing the supply. We raised the price of admission, so the bar and table wine are gratis, and we'll be serving decent brands. The upper end wines will be paid for by the glass, $10 a pop, and TR and I will be pouring the good stuff, he the white and me the reds, upstairs. I requested that we have a designated server bringing us crab-cakes while we feverishly pour. I think we're low on most of the good booze, from the last open bar, and I'll need to go spend several hundred dollars at Kroger. I took a nap, sometime after I got home, I was completely wasted, then I got up and made breakfast, it was midnight exactly. As black as a cave when I went out to pee, just enough breeze that the dried leaves were rattling; extremely dissonant sound. Because of the company I keep, I immediately thought about lentils sprinkled on a cymbal. I make no apology for my company. I think nothing of mucking a grader ditch with a poet. It's just a matter of where you find yourself. My hands hurt, from holding pieces of art against the wall, trying to decide exactly where they go. This was an exhausting day, and I don't have a lot to show, but I'm deeply behind the scenes here. Pynchon is the greatest stylist in the language, there's no question. "Bleeding Edge" nails it. Huge leaf day. The driveway is covered and there are little dikes, at the verges on Mackletree. Because of the wind patterns in the hollows, there are places where they're several feet thick. Finished the Ron Issacs show. Re-hung the last major pieces; then spent hours making a pattern and taking many measurements, before hanging the seventeen small pieces more salon style on the remaining wall. It looks fantastic. TR said it was his favorite show ever. I had to call Glenn as soon as I got home. I got the labels up, Sara and Mark got it lit. Except for cleaning up, it's a done deal. Clean everything tomorrow, get everything sparkly, continue preparations for the event next Saturday. Get that out of the way. I want to sleep late and get home early. I did enjoy taking a group of students through the galleries late this afternoon, they were somewhat animated because they have a good teacher. Left work a few minutes early, to beat the rain, then put out my buckets, to harvest water. Seemed perfectly natural to me.

No comments: