Friday, November 8, 2013

Deer Moving

First hunters are in the woods, bow season, or black powder. Pick-up trucks pulled off the road, guys in camouflage, head to foot. Dangerous to take a walk. The last couple of miles home, through the State Forest, I drive at 20 mph, with full attention on the road ahead. There are deer everywhere. Two yearlings hang out just below the house, between the house and the driveway, and they should be safe there. They sometimes bed quite close, and I can watch them for long periods of time. They're buff right now, fat, and coming into their winter coats. Pegi got me the good rate, at the Super Eight, so the girls can stay in town, or Samara and Scott can, and Rhea can stay out here with me, or whatever. I fully intend to take a bath, running hot water, are you kidding me? What a luxury. Just about final preparations completed for the event. Everything is clean, everything looks great. It's always interesting at the fine wine table, TR and I bantering at each other and the customers. And the food is good. Ron and Judy will be there. I'll know most of the people, and they mostly like me. I don't think I've attended an evening event for months, and it'll be a chance to polish my social skills. Deer, on the way home tonight; I had some asshole right on my tail, and I was sure I was going to get rear-ended. I drive slowly through that section of forest precisely because I can stop, and this dude wanted to speed up. I pulled over and waved him around. He gave me a scowl. Road rage on Mackletree. We rarely shoot each other, but when we do, it's gruesome, a shotgun blast to the stomach, from ten feet away. They added Mac And Cheese as a side dish at the pub and I got a double order today. It's very good, like I used to make for the girls. Took home half of it, which was my plan. I'd picked up a vacuum pack of ham bits, I made some garlic toast, and fixed a side salad with sliced radishes and watercress. A very good dinner. Something was nagging me, I couldn't put my finger on it, concerning your world and mine.

No comments: