Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Dry Down

Oak branches that have lodged in bushes make great kindling. They dry out quickly and you can break them into pieces with your gloved hands. A good armload will fill the bucket and that's a week's worth of starter. My favorite fires are ones that I start with junk mail, then burn something from a dumpster, a busted chair or something, to get a bed of coals, then on to oak splits. I rescued a dozen oak shelves from a dumpster in town, 1x10, thirty inches long, and they'll make great intermediate wood because they are so dry. I'm low on utility candles, but now that I read, during black-outs, with the LED headlamp, I need them less, though I should get a back-up battery. During the several years I worked at the college theater, I amassed a huge quantity of AA batteries (you only use a battery for one performance in cordless microphones), so I'm good for my walking-in-and-out flashlights. I try to take care of these things when I think about them, or at least make a note. I have to get the insulated Red Wings out and give them a water-proofing. Tomorrow I have to get the front brakes redone on the Jeep, and new rear shocks, then I have to get some serious tires, $1,500 probably, but I have to do it. My finances have taken a hit: the driveway, the girls for Thanksgiving, the Jeep, and I still have to buy a new computer. I can put off buying new socks. I'll need a new pair of black jeans and a new denim shirt for the gig at Chautuaqua. Ever fashion conscious Before the first of the year land taxes and vehicle insurance come due. And I have to supply my ordinary day-to-day habits, food and drink, and stay connected, such as I do, with the grid. So I do have expenses. Took the truck in, first thing, no more grinding rotor. I might go ahead and get the new shocks and serious tires at the end of the week. Nice guy, Trent, said he could fit me in anytime. Only a thousand dollars for everything. He knew my driveway, and said he thought I should able to get up and down in light snow. Long range forecast is for very cold weather but no snow when the girls are here. We'll work it out. Don't know what kind of vehicle they're renting at the airport. I've been thinking about the menu, but I'll let them decide, three dinners and lunches. I am trying to line up some crabmeat, you can't go wrong with crabmeat. I got a new filter for the shop-vac, so I can clean some cobwebs and all the detritus of fall. I feel I need to appear at least partially respectable. My daughters, after all, the elementary structures of kinship.

No comments: