Sunday, November 17, 2013

Inherent Defects

I have a problem with stupidity, I can't stand to be around it. Nothing prepares you to operate in the real world. Something wakes me in the night, a tree falling in the darkness, a pack of dogs running a deer, and I'm almost aware that something is going on. Stumble over and turn on the radio, get a drink, roll a smoke. If it came to choosing a mate, I'd be a bad pick. My idea of a good evening is teasing out a sentence. John XXIII had been pushed out of office, deposed, and Poggio was free to look for books; he found Lucretius and the rest is history. I went into town to go to the library and Kroger, ended up being staff at the museum though I wasn't scheduled to be. Lunched with TR and had a beer because I didn't know I was going to be staff. Ken Emerick, our favorite person at the Ohio Arts Council, and Todd, his partner, came down from Columbus with a ceramic artist we'll be displaying next year. Nice conversations. Sara ended up staying until closing time, talking with TR, so I could have left anyway. Just as well. I was able to read in a heated and very quiet place. I did several little mini-docenting explanations, on my way out, or on my way back in, from having a cigaret on the loading dock. I think I'm hearing rain. The next time I get up, I'll stick my head outside the door. I need some rainwater, and I'd need to position some buckets. The random beat is pretty cool. I suspect lentils, poured on a cymbal, but I couldn't say, exactly. Just at dawn there's a fog-like mist on the ridge; a thick layer of leaf compost turning a light rain into vapor. The trees are stripped bare. The green-briar is still green, the leaves are like leather. It's miserable, walking outside, but the ticks are gone, and the snakes, and I hope the bear. I'm tired of clanking cans together, because the sound is so offensive. On the other hand, I haven't been mauled, and that's a plus. I have copious notes that prove I was somewhere else. In south Florida, when tomatoes were coming into season.

No comments: