Thursday, July 3, 2008

Hummingbirds

These fuckers are driving me crazy, two fighting, or whatever it is, outside my window right now and I yell at them, they pay no attention. I was below the floodwall this morning and found a stick that we must have, told D to bring his chainsaw on Tuesday. A perfect post with a splayed crotch that will make an easy attachment for the pergola in the Wrack Show; when we get morning coffee, we drive down again, D and I, he agrees we really must have it. Need several similar sticks, make the show easier. I think about another show I'd like to do, "From The Bone-Yard", a rock show, everything from the McDermott quarry, stacked rocks, ersatz furniture, everything made from stacked rocks. The bone-yard at that quarry (the bone-yard is where they throw shit that fails) fills an entire hollow, thousands of cubic yards, and they add and bulldoze over the edge every day. We're talking a lot of rock, cheap. $20 a pick-up load, Jesus, at $20 I'd buy anything, horse shit, offcut slabs, rocks, wouldn't quibble. I've done major league bathrooms and kitchens with this stuff, it's cool and so goddamn organic it breaks my heart. Jana asked, I'll answer her here, because it seems appropriate: I like being the janitor at the museum, I enjoy being mis-pegged, I love docenting with a mop. I took a tour today with a crippled lady, wheelchair, through the show, we talked about useless patterns, what you might imagine you would do. She was comfortable in her broken body and I went to school on that. We do fail as we get older, the frame, the joints. She smiled when we talked about the show, she was so happy to be included; I shared the insider dope, the judge's personal preferences, how that played a part. I never know how much to help the handicapped, some of them take such offense that I'm shocked. What I do is nothing, just mentioning some things. Anyone could be more specific. At the back door there is a threshold and I lift the front of the wheelchair, exactly as I would do for anything we were bringing through the door, art, bodies, whatever, a certain way to play your hand. We connect, I talk with her several times over the next hour. I need to be on the floor, subject to question, everyone else is hanging on the subject, removed, I'm mopping. Excuse me, you thought what?

No comments: