Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Missing Piece

Holding to the triplets, again, no one at the lake, stop for a smoke and watch a large group (two 3's) of crows cleaning the shelter. Excellent technique. And a third triplet: I find a single puzzle piece, my third in a year, the famous "missing piece" that you hear about so often, on a picnic table. Someone is going to be pissed. I need to get a bunch of uniform frames, cheap is fine, though D and I could probably make 20 in a day, from walnut or cherry, that would be stunning; start buying used puzzles at Good Will and yard sales, take a nice single piece out of each and frame it. I'm not usually a minimalist but I like this. Normal janitor duties following a Saturday event and there is stuff for the auction that needs taken to the basement and a dozen or so rolled off-cuts of carpet that need taken to the third floor, I docent a group of students through the main gallery, then, late afternoon, walk a couple through, that decide the museum is the perfect place for their wedding reception, which it is, probably, the best venue in town. Bet I walked 20 miles today, leg muscles are almost cramped (that pre-cramp tingle that actually allows you enough time to stretch your leg or flex your toes and avoid seizing) and my feet hurt. Fortunately I foresaw how I would feel when I got home so I stopped at the Dairy Bar and got a footer (sauce, mustard and cheese) and some jalapeno poppers, god, I love those fuckers, an almost dangerous food: for one, dealing with the whole pepper family, you never know how hot one is going to be, two, the cheese with which they are stuffed is molten, and three, they are batter dipped and deep-fried. If my purse were deep enough, I'd stop every day and get an order of these, just for the thrill, not knowing what you'd get, how rare is that, in a time of absolute codification? Not to draw to fine a line, but as a codicil to my rule about getting footers from really large people (because they prepare each one as if for themselves) as opposed to an anorexic teenager who didn't add enough of anything (and you had to get two), but you should eat these at least once a week. They'll make you think. The best I ever had were at a state line where a writer friend was meeting me because she was wanted across the line. I drink free beer anywhere, I'm not particular, but I was aware of the surroundings, there were stuffed animals and old-fashioned juke-boxes, I fed quarters and played the Allman Brothers, "Whipping Post", really, I'm a creature of habit.

Tom

You said what? I have to pay attention, what did you mean by that? I wish I understood this better, far as I can see there is more weather, a storm that blows me off of my foundation, breaks my nose against a wall, I'm bleeding, I ask you, ever polite, what did you mean?

No comments: