Sunday, July 6, 2008

Invidious Language

Insularity, isolation, maybe it does warp the mind. I was walking down the driveway, to curtail budding symptoms of what I now know to be a headache. Smoking too much and reading way too much in sometimes bad light, so a walk down the driveway, clear the mind. Half-way, there is a large hickory tree, and, gathering nuts, is a melanistic aberration, a 'sport', a completely black squirrel. Beautiful against the green. I nearly fell over. I've seen a few before, but never one here, like an electric shock, I know what it is, but I have to short through things, to get to the knowledge. These are more common the other way, albinos, I've seen a white raven and a stately white-tail buck In Missip, a massive 12 pointer that was as white as arctic snow. I shot one black squirrel in Missip because I wanted the pelt, and there were a lot of them, so I wasn't putting the species in any greater danger, and lost it to maggots in a really hot and humid Missip summer, so I have nothing to show; I do remember a very good meal of squirrel-and-dumplings, several, actually, but one in particular, that one. I pluck it from memory. Replay it, rushes with no text. Images. I need to look into this, I make a note and post it where I might see it. Who can do anything moire? more, right. Staying on course is the hard part. Me, I use that pronoun loosely, I just wait to see the drift. I fully expected a white crow, I was waiting, but it was those three black mother-fuckers, again, on that snag above the outshouse. I don't know what they expect of me, I'd like to make peace, sacrifice a lamb, whatever, but I am drawn into these triplets:

Black squirrel, you
shatter my illusion, (s,)
you are actually real.

I don't know, I take this with a grain of salt, what happens if I stay awake. The tendency is to stay awake forever, I require sleep, and dreams, but I want to stay awake, still, I must sleep. Grab odd hours, sleep when you can, I often sleep on the sofa, make sure I'm uncomfortable enough to not stay asleep. We're strange, when you look at us closely.

No comments: