Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Waterwork Music

That music guy, Barnhart, at the museum today, talking about his life with music and playing samples from various periods. Some interesting electronic stuff. Finished by playing Waterwork Music, some of which might be in Glenn's movie. Might be able to get them together, Glenn coming back for the uninstalling, deinstallation, removal of the show, next week. I'd heard the music before, in Barnhart's office, but it sounded so much fuller in the main gallery. Excellent stuff. Manipulated water sounds and a nice violin serving as the current. Appreciative group, Doctor John, himself a blue-grass musician of local note, was on his feet applauding, said to me afterward that he was interested in how the Wrack Show evoked so many different reactions, all of them good. Can't figure out if I wrote twice yesterday or am writing twice today. In one 13 hour period I wrote for 6 hours. Three sessions with naps between. Felt great, wrote well, like I'm working up to the marathon, 27 hours straight, man, loony tunes. On the plumbing front we made real progress with just a few barked knuckles. We had to deconstruct (the perfect word, of course we have to deconstruct the Wrack Show) the entire sink assembly, including that puttied, gasketed thing the basket goes in. These are difficult because they are always corroded and there's a special tool we don't have. We improvise and finally break the suckers free (it's a double sink and if one fails the other will also, like tomorrow.) Now that we have everything apart, I can fix it. Plumbing is simple logic with a few tricks, like anything else, it can be elegant, but it doesn't have to be. The Wrack Show is elegant, what it does, with debris, is really quite amazing. I looked at it today, docenting for the second time, a woman through the show. She wanted a piece of it and I told her to show up next Tuesday with her work clothes on. I can get this fence painted. Finality is sinking in. What do we do with this thing. I can burn most of it, that's not a problem, tomorrow, I think, I'll make a list of pieces not to burn, so we can give them away, goodwill is everything, and I think D and I will do another show, when the dust clears, because we enjoy working together. Probably with Pegi and Barnhart, maybe an opera, I have a vague idea about something. Not much happens, it's kind of French, you know, and everyone is intense. I wondered how that might work with a very simple story line. Going to the store for some gum, getting some sliced white bread, whatever. Don't examine me too closely, I just flit over these things, just a janitor looking for absolution. Curious, now that I've brought it up, what we're looking for. I expect an essay by Friday, I don't care how long it is, I only expect you to be honest. Plaintive. What I thought I heard in what you were saying. Listen, I'm no expert, almost everything goes all right, but at the very end, there were questions.

No comments: