Thursday, March 15, 2012

Epic Day

Soon as I got in, a few minutes late, Pegi met me at the back door in panic mode. The first of five art history classes were going to be there any minute and they'd asked for me as a docent. I'm the most qualified and the college students like me. Polishing up my routine with the folk art show. It was fun, but it went on until 1:30, when I finally escaped for lunch. I wanted a beer but resisted because of museum policy, the staff applauded my efforts and told me to come back at Happy Hour. Which I did. First though, a couple of fires to put out, Pegi was upset because D had taken the projector home and we needed it the next two days in two different places, D hadn't told anyone he was taking it, and he hadn't looked at the calendar to see if we needed it. His bad, no question, but it's not a problem, D and I know Pete, the tech guy at the college,and he has about thirty of the damned things, D calls Pete, I go get one, no problem. Pete is also one of the funniest people I've ever known, which is saying a lot, and I love going over and borrowing something from him. No big deal, is what I'm saying. But Pegi rants on about needing a policy and it starts sounding like there might a dress code in the future. I don't understand the friction between Pegi and D, I understand parts of it, but the level of it has surprised me on occasion. TR and I had a punch list to do in the afternoon, for events tomorrow and Saturday and I got the list this afternoon, after I had docented five classes and had walked ten miles. I felt a little put-upon. Actually what I felt was stronger than that, but I can't possibly mediate unless I'm calm, so I take a few deep breaths, send Pegi off to her Cirque, lock up, and go over to the pub. Two or three people I know, at the bar, watching March Madness, and one of them is a, I don't know what, a construction engineer, and we got to talking about elevators; he thought the bids we'd gotten were too high, on our proposed renovation, and made a few phone calls, got a price that was 22K below our lowest of three bids. Not a bad day.

2 comments:

JOEL S. KAHN said...

TOM: ABOUT FORTY YEARS AGO OUR MUTUAL FRIEND, PETER WINSLOW, INTRODUCED ME TO YOU AND TED UNDER THE FLOOR OF A CHICKEN COOP TO HOME RENOVATION. PETER PASSED AWAY THIS WEEK. THOUGHT YOU AND GLEN WOULD WANT TO KNOW.

Grimnir said...

Joel--

Sorry to hear of Peter's passing. One indelible memory of mine is Peter's wedding to Donna, way back when. Remember when the rented preacher went on about what would happen when "the wife would burrrn the poke-chops" and that the husband would want to spank her after she "burrrned the poke-chops" and how most of us good hippie-types were closely studying our sandals during his sermonette? I know Tom has many more and vivid memories because he lived at least one winter there, maybe more. Thanks for letting us know. Hope things are well with you.

Glenn