Saturday, March 3, 2012

Reading

I get on a jag, a new book by any one of a dozen authors, you might as well write me off. So, Thursday, I stayed up most of the night reading the new Lee Child, which left me tired for the opening last night. Still, we got it done. The show must look great because everyone said so, and there were six curators plus the head of the Ohio Arts Council in attendance. Very good conversations, excellent panel discussion, free beer and wine. The finger food was ok, but if we had a stove at the museum, D and I could do much better. Halfway through the reception a huge storm cell moved through, sheets of rain, thunder, lightning, tornados to the north and south of us. Staying for the reception meant staying in town, but the socializing, in this case, was well worth not writing for a night. I drank a fair amount and wasn't going to drive under any circumstances, or write. Intelligent conversation is a great thing. I told a couple of stories and got called upon to tell retell a couple more. Talked with three of the artists in the show. Always interesting to talk with artists and craftsmen about the motivation that spurs them to do anything. It's easy enough to do nothing, the modern world is designed for it. To be alone and fabricate something is becoming less common. Even things that were once considered to be merely necessary crafts are now considered high art. Who does needle-point anymore, or makes spoons, or hooks a rug from scraps so that there's a less cold place to put your feet when you get out of bed in the morning? I want to curate a show of Kim's spoons, which are, actually, amazing. The Richards Galley, upstairs, I could probably arrange x number of spoons (there are hundreds) on x number of pedestals in a way that would be interesting and pleasing to the eye. I think of spoons as being in the middle, between the knife and fork. At a very early point you needed to get broth to your mouth. I might write a book called "The Necessity Of Spoons" or some other Romance Novel. Spooning is number 2 on the list, right after conversation. I make lists even when I'm not making lists. If you had to prioritize your life, what would be the ranking where? A serious question. How do you actually live your life within those boundaries. We all do it. We all compromise. In every single issue, there is compromise; the base line is a false positive, I quote myself quoting Beckett, A misquote at best, but a line about nothing being better than something. I could argue that a pulled-pork barbeque on a piece of toast, with the sauce, might be better than anything you've ever eaten. I leave that up to you, I was just eating dinner.

No comments: