Thursday, June 14, 2012

Final Push

Another long and exhausting day but we are 99% done and still have until six o'clock tomorrow evening to do any final tweaking. TR finished the labels, we moved pedestals and set the 3-D pieces, Sara and D started the lighting, and I went into full-bore janitor mode. I looked exactly like a janitor, jeans with a few holes, gray tee-shirt with a few holes, Eyrie Vineyards cap; had my dust broom, regular broom, dust pan, and my mop bucket. First I swept twice, then I went around the entire gallery, kneeling, like I was at a sacral event, scraping frosting from last week's wedding and reception out of the grout joints, then I swept those up (you have to let frosting dry until it can be swept), then I mopped until my arms were falling off. A dozen or so places required four passes with the mop, and I had to change my water and Damp Mop mixture twice. The lighting, as always, explodes the show. I tasked TR to assist D, which I usually do, because I was busy, mopping behind them. Three ladies came in, mid-afternoon, and Sara called me over, introduced me, one of them, Wendy, was the chief docent at the Columbus Museum, and there was a Carter painting in their current exhibit. She wanted to bring the Columbus docents down here, to go through the Carters and wondered who could docent the docents, and Sara told her I was the guy. That guy over there with the mop bucket. Some time in July. I'll unload a bunch of data on them, along with some personal opinion, see how they respond.. It might be cool if we could film it. Docenting is everything, the way we learn what is what. I just try to be historically accurate, whether or not we're playing in the same decade. I need Glenn's input here because he sees things and I merely hear.

No comments: