Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Usual Start

The usual start to a Tuesday morning is hauling trash, and something has the kitchen smelling like a land-fill. D and I haul a few bags away, then he gets one of his wild hairs, and puts away everything that's been left out (almost everything), in the kitchen, while cursing a beautiful blue-streak about the goddamned sons-of-bitches that never put a fucking thing away. I don't bother with this much anymore, because Trish will get back next week (on vacation with the family in St. Barts), curse a blue streak about people not knowing where anything goes, and spend a day rearranging the kitchen. So Trish is in St Barts, TR is doing a one week music camp at the college, Pegi is doing Cirque camp at their building, and D and I are left holding the fort; but D will be called away constantly, he's working out the logistics for the elevator replacement and the attendant upgrades. A lot of things have to be done during a specific window of time. He's on it, bless his soul, and he's very good at getting the various bids broken down in such a way that he can actually compare oranges to oranges. Everything has to get installed and tested, the elevator itself, the new electrical service for that, the new alarm service, the new phone lines, most of it done in the elevator shaft during a narrow window, and all inspected at the same time, up to code. I've done this a few dozen times, in various fields, and I didn't want to do it again, but it's good to know you can do it, which is why it's such a good idea for D to do it, so he'll know he can. Lunch, tomorrow, is a problem, because everyone else is away, and I told them I'd rather eat late.When I had the bar and the barkeep both within my sight. And there couldn't be anyone looking over my shoulder. They told me they didn't know what I meant, and I congratulated them on their honesty. I went back and took out a comma, altered a tense, in the interest of simplification. Dry and windy, the light is harsh and dappled through the canopy, and the aphid effluent is dark, in sticky pools on the road. My truck tires snicker, going through patches. I've never seen this shit before. It may have been there forever, but I don't think so, I tend to notice things I drive through. I took a sample on a slide, I have a microscope somewhere, and the crystals look like sugar, looks a lot like that classic starch to sugar conversion. If that was true, and we sacrificed a young tree, we could run our lights off aphid shit. Pegi dumped a tour on me, no better way to put it, I'm the docent of choice, but I hate taking kids through the museum because their interest span is so short. I'm not a teacher, just an example of the way things might turn, but they turn to me, when push comes to crunch, because no one does it as well. Which doesn't speak so highly of me as it speaks badly for the rest of the world.

No comments: