Monday, June 25, 2012

Good Eats

These might be the best ribs I've ever cooked, The meat is falling off the bone, and the rub is such a perfect balance of salt, pepper and spice, that I have to I eat several without the sauce. And the sauce, actually, is why I'm in this game; though it's reached a level of performance that's beyond my help. I often feel that I'm merely a mechanic, but maybe that's not so bad, the most competent people I know are mechanics. That I should be placed among them would be high praise. Read Jim Harrison essays all day, reread, maybe for the third time, I love his writing, all of it, but I truly love his poetry and the personal essays. Decided to treat myself to lunch at the pub, with a pint, and I wanted to take Barb a few ribs, so I drove into town the long way around, down the creek, then along the river road. Not a lot of traffic, and I pulled over at every opportunity (and I know all the opportunities) to let people around. I make no bones about the fact that I drive slowly and look around. This whole aphid crisis, remember it came from me. They could bring us down, in a stalemate situation we'd be encased in aphid effluent, silent and fixed, like a bug in amber. They're producing huge quantities of whatever it is. The back roads, where the trees canopy, you can hear the stickiness when your tires roll over it. We all have our boundaries. A cantilever too far.

No comments: