Saturday, June 30, 2012

Recent Event

Try to get back up to speed. Yesterday. Another hot one, 102, we worked for a while on the third floor, sorting through things. Found too many old catalogs, several for Carter exhibits, and I need to read them. D goes down and organizes the area around the front desk. I left an hour early, to turn on my AC at home. Got there 4:45 , 90 degrees inside my house. Around 6:00 it suddenly got dark, and the winds went from calm to 85 mph in about 15 seconds. I was sitting at my writing chair, in my boxer shorts, reading the new Elmore Leonard novel, the house down to 86 degrees. The building shuddered. I immediately looked around to see what electrical devices were on, 5 seconds later the lights went out, I picked up the phone and it was dead. One always checks the phone. I put on the LED headlamp that Howard gave me, unplug a few things (I suffer surge, where I am on the grid) get out the oil lamp I've retrofitted with a mirror attached behind, and a couple of candles; open a few windows, in the lee, back my writing chair up against one of the patio doors (to catch whatever ambient light), and continue reading the Leonard novel. It's a good book, with a great character he's used before. What Elmore Leonard learned from George V. Higgins is to let the dialog run the show. Dinner is a wonderful salad of grape tomatoes, with mozzarella and fresh herbs, over which I dumped a can of tuna (in oil), added a dash of balsamic and hot sauce. Managed to eat this while holding the book on my knees held open with a rock, putting down the bowl and eating the occasional dry saltine. A second line of almost dry squalls moves through, maybe an hour later, not quite as severe, and I actually finish the book at a single sitting, which is not unusual for me, but as I get older, it tends to give me a headache. Speaking of headaches, I was at the pub for a pint and Barb mentioned she was hosting a luncheon for a wedding group that was having a reception at the museum next Sunday, and I looked at her as the idiot I often am, and said, honestly, that I didn't know about any reception, went back to the museum and checked the master calendar, checked my calendar, checked Pegi's calendar, and there is not a fucking mention of anything on that date, July 8th, the day in question; who, exactly, runs the museum? I've been confused for some time about this. I have three sleeping stations available, depending on which way the wind blows. Drive in, Mackletree is covered in debris, shattered trees, a maelstrom. The drive in... trying to figure a way that we could work. shattered trees are everywhere, whatever that means. A very strong impulse of very strong power. Five seconds is a very long time.

No comments: