Thursday, June 28, 2012

Hot Spell

Not too bad, when I got home tonight, I'd stopped at the pub for a pint, to watch the end of a soccer match. Spain beat Portugal and moved on to the finals of the Euro Cup. I like soccer. Spain passed the ball beautifully, and that's cool to watch, and both of those teams played magnificent defense, so it came down to penalty kicks. Tomorrow it's supposed to be 102 degrees, then a 100 degrees for the next four days, with a nighttime low of 75. Too brutal for words. I have the window AC unit, but I don't leave it on when I'm not at home. The house might well be 90 degrees when I get home tomorrow, and Black Dell will not operate until the temp gets down to 80. That could take a couple of hours. Remind me to live in a cave, next time, where I can control the temp with a light bulb. I just get home, haven't gotten a drink or rolled a cigaret, and my sister calls from Florida, wanted to talk about my parents. Not pleasant but necessary, what could be sustained, and what was necessary. Seems my brother was running them into a hole, but he was the primary caregiver, so I can't fault that, and for the last 19 months my sister has had them living in her house. I couldn't do that, my care-giving qualities fall off sharply after a single day. The conversation was long and sad. Then I called my brother, to get an update on his life and that was pretty depressing too. Then the power went out, so I just sat on the sofa in the gathering dark and thought about things for several hours. It was 102 today and the air was too hot to breathe. D and I put away a few things, cleaned some areas, then he was called away by the security people, talking about that aspect of the elevator job and also about installing some security cameras. I puttered around, thinking about my family, like watching a slow motion train wreck. Got through the day, went over to the pub, for a pint, before heading home to what I knew was going to be a furnace, and D joined me, a few minutes later; I hadn't expected him to, but he had a gin and tonic, and John Hogan, himself, joined us for an Irish whiskey. Entertaining, and that broke the spell for me. I went back over to the museum, to kill some time (B makes music with his brother and a few others on Thursday night, they start at 7:00, so if I'm going to be in town late on Thursday, I plan to get home at that hour or later, so that we don't meet on the driveway), and watch a show on the cooking channel; that British woman with the great assets, then stop at Kroger for a few things. It's 90 degrees inside my house when I get home, I turn on the AC but it's still 9:00 before I can write. Fortunately the humidity is very low and as long as you don't move too quickly you don't fall over dead. I can't believe I used to work outdoors, framing houses, in this weather, but I did; now it's all I can do to read, and chew enough to keep from dying. Bound to lose power, I'd better go.

No comments: