Thursday, August 30, 2012

Confusion

Just short of chaos. The elevator guy asked us if we had any freight to haul up or down because he was taking over control of the controls. We did, and moved a few things. The phone guys came in, and they're going to completely change out the phone system in two days, shouldn't, they say, interrupt service; new switch board, new phones with functions I don't understand. Calls can go to voice-mail to email and follow you around, why would you want that? The phones black and have little screens with information on them. I'll need a tutorial. I forgot Barb's birthday, John (himself) Hogan had just told me the story on Saturday, so I feel totally stupid. I'll get her flowers tomorrow, and I'd like to cook for them (their birthdays and anniversary fall within a three-day period) and the rest of the staff. I think they close early on Monday, we could do it after hours. Billy is their lead cook, and I'd need his help. We'll need to roast some vegetables and make a corn souffle for dessert. They've got a convection oven. I'd do ribs my way and Billy would bitch about how his way was at least as good. as mine And I grant him that, there are ten thousand solutions. Really, I'm just saying, power interrupts. Wanted to write more last night, but I would have just lost it in a strange sequence of brown-outs. Read about aquamaniles instead, ewers and basins in fantastical animal shapes. More of the same at the museum today, phone guys, elevators guys, and I was constantly being asked questions, tracking ancient electrical circuits, helping to carry out the last of the artwork. TR and I cleared the main gallery by putting the few remaining pieces in the library and board room, then I patched and repaired. What with the other things going on, that took the rest of the day. I can paint tomorrow, then get out the tables and chairs so the next wedding party can set up and decorate on Friday for some goddamned event on Saturday. These fucking events are so disruptive, but I do understand we need the revenue. I mentioned to Barb today that I'd like to cook for them, the owners and staff at the pub, she thought it was a great idea. They have a convection oven and I've never used one. Roasted root vegetables, I'm thinking, would do well in there; parsnips, turnips, onions, potatoes. I think I can do six slabs of ribs in an afternoon, on my little Weber, then come in before dark, roast vegetables and cook a corn pudding. Be a good meal, you know, with bread, to sop up whatever dripped. Maybe a Key Lime pie for dessert, the one dessert I like well enough to prepare. Never had a sweet tooth.

No comments: