Friday, August 17, 2012

Rain Delay

D had insisted that I take a day off, B came over last night and he was going to Athens today, I thought I'd string along, a road trip, but it was raining and I was running late when I awoke for the second time, having gotten up, to the sound of rain, and written for a couple of hours, then gone back to sleep. I had some things I'd wanted to research, and called everything off, decided to just stay at home. Pegi and I had a great conversation about sexual orientation yesterday, she deals with so many kids in the Cirque program. With over 200 kids, there's always a crisis. I needed a day off, haven't been reading enough and B had brought over a pile of London Reviews. On average, I read for 28 hours a week, and usually 8 of those are in one day. A full day of reading is my round of golf. That's what I did, read book reviews and essays. Grazed the food that had accumulated over the last few days, leftovers from a luncheon/discussion at the pub concerning art outreach and various programs. The pub serves good-sized portions, and I had a little bit of everything. There is, of course, a grazing procedure. Simply: you eat the stuff in the order in which it spoils. Someone had gotten my email address (I'm not discreet) and sent me a nice note about how I was a part of her 'routine'. It's kind of sexy. I know from where I speak, I'm a creature of habit myself, which involves getting distracted. She puts on a pot of coffee, feeds the cat (Horace); a piece of toast in the toaster oven, prints out my post. Peanut butter and a nice marmalade, and she reads me twice, some times three thrice, from her left hand. She had some questions about procedure. It was a beautifully written paragraph, I'd have to look twice to realize I hadn't written it. Attention to detail, syntax. Consider the way any specific event might be remembered. Which side you were on. The nature of things change. Look before you leap.

No comments: