Thursday, August 23, 2012

Flying Squirrel

Hell of a commotion, four in the morning, I'm thinking home invasion, slip out of bed and get my golf club (a wedge). Figure I know every inch of this house and it's dark, gives me an advantage, but something is wrong, it's too dark, a home invader would need to see. Has to be a critter, so I start turning on lights, then go sit at my desk and roll a cigaret. Eventually, I see it, a flying squirrel, licking a skillet on the cookstove; fucker, do they carry rabies? I can't shoot it, so I look around for a good book to throw at it, decide on John Le Carre, "The Looking Glass War", a nice compact hardbound. My first shot is a little off, and I knock over a basket of hard and soft balls (they're actually labeled (Found Balls), so I fall back to regroup and consider my situation. Discover I can herd it, sort of, with a broom stick; so I prop open the back door, and try to get it moving counter-clockwise around the downstairs. An hour later I get it to dart outside and slam the door shut. The problem, of course, is that it got in. I'll look later, but I think I know where, a soffit problem that I hadn't addressed. Comes back to bite you in the ass. Temporary fixes are the bane of existence; but out on the edge, temporary is sometimes enough. I can fix the problem later, I just need to get through to tomorrow. Wanted to go back to bed, but too awake to risk that at five thirty, so I clean up the broken jar of peach salsa and the broken bowl I'd bought at the yearly sale from the pottery studio at the University. They're really cute, these flying squirrels, they have an amazing face, but they're very destructive if they get inside. D needed my help, and we spent most of the morning working on one piece that was extremely difficult to figure out. Five pieces in the piece, but they weren't numbered, and the only picture we had was a thumbnail. They didn't fit together all that well, they weren't supposed to. It's a nice piece, wormy anthropomorphic thing, but we needed just a little more direction. I don't often say that. What she was saying is that part of the piece is the way in which you install it. I'm up for that, but I also have other things to do, and don't want to spend too much time working on someone else's piece. D and I can usually figure this out in a heartbeat, bearing and load, but this one had us scratching our heads. There are a plethora of solutions.

No comments: