Friday, October 26, 2012

Estimated Load

Fat people aren't nearly the weight of cast iron . Take a really fat person, 300 pounds, and they might weigh several tons in cast iron, if we were to cast them, which I'd love to do, cast fat people in either concrete or cast iron, and make a show of them. They fascinate me right now. I stopped at Kroger on the way home, wanted an artichoke, didn't need a basket, much less a manual shopping cart; one item, you can just toss it from hand to hand; and there were two fat people waiting for the next available electric mobile unit, so they didn't have to walk the aisles, and they were bitching that there weren't more units available. In certain situations I have little patience, and I wanted to kill both of them. Fuck a bunch of entitlement. I'm tired of people complaining. The Real World is fraught with complication, there are only so many electric carts, and a great many fat people, and other handicapped people that actually need a cart, and the occasional goofballs that specialize in knocking down displays. I avoid drawing attention to myself, I would never, for instance, wear a sash or a tiara, or make-up, for that matter; I prefer to stay below the radar. Also, if you're really fat, it's hard to hide. I find, being skinny, you can hide behind a tree; but if you're fat, you hang out on either side. I'd rather be invisible. Spent most of the day looking for Emily's desk and chair and finally found a couple of things that will work, a little table with two drawers and an old but serviceable chair. $50 for the pair. Came home an hour early as a front is moving in and I didn't want to get trapped in town. Wind, ahead of the front, had created a leaf-storm on Mackletree, that was perfectly beautiful in dappled slanting light. This weekend should see an end to most of the leaves on the ridge. The forest stripped bare. The sumac is lovely and I harvest a bag of the crimson seed-heads for making sun-tea next summer, black tea and a sumac head make a very hardly iced tea, slightly sweetened, with a splash of cream, it's a great summer beverage. For the weekend I have some great Louisiana sausage (wherever the French settled there is great sausage and great bread), the makings for a cream of squash soup (Lynne left me an butternut squash from the Sister Cities decorations), and the makings for a small lasagna, because I found a teflon bread pan (while looking for Emily's desk, and realized that with the new, pre-cooked, noodles, it wouldn't be a big deal to make a two or three serving (for one)), lasagna. Cast iron has a specific gravity of 7.21, weighs 450 pounds a cubic foot. How many cubic feet to the average person? I'm guessing a human body, mostly water, has a specific gravity of a little more than 1, so divide your weight by 40 and multiply the answer by 450. The math is sloppy, but in my case a cast iron copy would be about 1600 pounds. A solid presence. In lead (11.35 specific gravity, 708 pounds a cubic foot) maybe four thousand pounds. Not exactly the stir I wanted to cause, but not bad for a hillbilly. If I could cast you in gold, 19.29 specific gravity, 1204 pounds a cubic foot, you'd be really heavy. Even if you were skinny.

No comments: