Sunday, October 14, 2012

Process

I was so tired when I got home last night that I was brain-dead. Blocked the show, then ran it through twice. Fell asleep within an hour of getting home, fully dressed, on the sofa, with my second drink untouched. Woke up this morning excited, with some ideas I had slept on. We all were like that. Ran the show through, stopping a few times to tweak some things, then lunch, then time to run-through twice more but we only did it one more time because they fucking nailed it. It's a very interesting presentation, the hour (between 55 minutes and an hour) verily flies by, and it builds so strongly at the end that it's like a brain-freeze that makes you cry. To say that we were pleased hardly expresses the point. Linda's interpretation of the text was spot on, letting the music support her rather than deferring to it. And Zack, what can I say, is great, I love the way he grimaces when he hits a sour note (which happens, when you're playing pots and pans) and I don't want him to lose that (which he said he was trying to do) because it lets the audience in on a secret. Several ways we've tried to break the proscenium barrier. What is striking to me is the way the connection has developed between Linda and Zack (Emily and her subconscious self), they never make eye contact, we didn't want that, but there's a connection and it's palpable. A very cool aspect of what's going on. The music is beautiful, and I keep hearing new things: like a poem, it requires many readings to fully reveal itself. I had known from the beginning that there was going to have be a tangible flow, and we found it, from birth, through sex, onto death. Pretty much all there. The text and music at the end is operatic. I'll send you a score. I'm pretty sure volume wins out over subtlety. You can be the judge.

No comments: