Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Nothing Ventured

I stay up late reading some paragraphs I wrote years ago. Pretty funny stuff. I have to meet the elevator guys at eight tomorrow morning so I asked TR to call me when he gets up (seven or so, he has to teach a class at the college) and just let the phone ring a couple of times. I'll probably be up anyway. I've gone for years without a clock. So many of the things we think are necessary are just smoke and mirrors. I can talk into my hand and look exactly like someone talking into a cell phone. I might get a burner, though, for my next road trip, and join Triple A, so I could get towed. The Jeep Liberty is not only not a truck, but has an automatic transmission. My left foot won't know what to do. I got everything I cared about out of the truck, and wiped down the interior, no reason to make things easy. Tomorrow's a holiday, but I should be able to get a title on Tuesday, after paying hundreds of dollars in taxes (are you with me here Mitt?) and securing the tags. I have a shit-load of work to do, painting the signage wall and making the labels for everything, and I needed to have worked yesterday, but I was tired, and I'm the only one who hasn't had a day off in several years. Suddenly it is tomorrow and I didn't realize how tired I was. Awoke a bit late (overcast days, it's difficult for me to gauge the light) then couldn't get the truck into gear because the cluck is almost completely gone, finally limped into town in third gear. Couldn't get the Jeep until today, so I stayed in town last night. I got the signage wall painted and all of the labels made and trimmed; I got the Jeep, with a dealer tag (which provides insurance) and Teno said not to worry about getting my truck out there until Friday, which is perfect because I have a couple of busy days in front of me. D calls, his late night with the elevator crew, to assure me we're on track and that I've done a great job, which is true, I have, but it's a quotidian thing, not anything special. I really like hanging shows. I could hang a show when mortar shells were exploding. Sara is getting into all this, what it takes to be a player.

No comments: