Thursday, October 4, 2012

What You Know

I'm thinking about the way things fit together, one of those reveries where things seem to make sense, seem is the operative term, because I'm not sure any of this does. The waning Harvest Moon, still spectacular, behind thin cloud cover, is beautiful. TR and I spend some time talking about Emily. He has the music prepared, and Linda has the words, our job here is just to integrate. I see some things, hear some things is closer to the point. I think she looks at Zack, making music, as the sounds in her head, he nods. she turns back to the audience. We get a poem, and another, as if they were the most important thing in the world, which they are, and then she turns away. Not as if it was a smile or a smirk, but just that turning away is a natural response to something we don't want to face. Another seamless day, got to work early so I could finish hanging, and I work on that, hard, all day, by myself, as there are a great many other things going on and everyone else is otherwise entangled. If a painting is large and/or heavy I set the hardware then go get someone out of a meeting to help me for a scant minute to actually hang the piece. I save the largest, most valuable painting until last, when both TR and D are available, because it will take three of us to hang it (two taking the weight, and one making the attachment) after I've done all the preliminary work. I do the math three times and then set J-hooks on two anchors each, two feet apart, this after turning the painting so it faced the wall and I could see the back, to take measurements. The hardware was completely wrong, I took it all off and re-wired the damn thing, then had D check my work, and the three of us got it on the wall. It looks great. On its wall, where it hangs with the Carters, you can't get far enough away from it; in a larger space the perspective is much more apparent. It's a very good show and it's not even lighted it yet, and I have labels to make and mount, and I need to paint the signage wall and we have to do the signage. Doing a show is a big pull, uphill. Took a break to call Linda and touch base about Emily. She's going out to LA to do another performance, a more classical version, piano and a soprano, and hopes to send me a tape of that. After this, I swear, I'm done with the combined arts, the logistics are impossible. I work best alone.

No comments: