Sunday, May 25, 2008

Bath Ritual

Plenty of water from the recent rains so I fill the solar shower (five gallons) and put it on the bottom of the sheep-watering trough overturned in the morning. Mid-afternoon, after brush work, take the shower off, turn over the trough, dump the water and it's too hot. Add bath salts and agitate with a gallon of cool water. First outdoor bath of the season. Pull a kitchen chair close, shampoo, ashtray and a rolled smoke, an early drink, towel, a paperback Dashiell Hammett "Red Harvest" that I've only read a couple of times. Very still, with birds. The Piliated Woodpecker arrives and works the hickory tree. The Green Wall of summer is almost complete, I can't see my truck 150 feet down the driveway. Now, because of the work The Utah Kid did and shamed me into, the Wall starts 30 feet or more away; stage two of the firebreak is to keep all the brush cut so that grass will appear. This is a very cool thing, so fecund here that grass just appears, if you keep the brush cleared, like that in Missip too, but I had spent most of my life on sand or in western Colorado where grass was more problematic, if you wanted it, a lawn, for whatever reason. One of those moments with the sling-blade this morning. Caught a root (probably, not a rock) on a back-swing and knew I was going to hit my foot, managed to turn my foot out, so that I took the blow on the sole. When the neurons are firing time must be extended or something. How could I possibly have time to turn my foot? I did play baseball. As I think about it, I don't swing the blade very hard or fast, I know where it is, I had plenty of time. When I don't, and hurt myself, probably means I've slowed a notch, and shouldn't do that job that way anymore. Indicates. Strange phone conversation, I should never answer the phone, don't usually, but with my parents dying, certain days, I do, so I answered one today and knew I had a newbie in a different country, sounded Asian is all I could admit to, and I questioned him, about the weather, his family, what he ate, how it was cooked. I think he thought I was a spy. I was proud of my ability to bullshit, like an archer might be, or anybody that did anything, this makes no sense at all, but I was there, he saw the fucking woodpecker.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tom and Glenn-
This is great. Kim connected me with the blog. I went to Crowe pasture last weekend and the greenhouse/print shop is still there on the back of Kay Harpers house. She died this past winter. Did you know that? Saw Helen and De and the Holl sisters on our visit. It is just amazing to see the people that you knew when you were 20. Parts of the Cape are as beautiful as ever. The 35 annual solstice party is the 20th on the beach.
Suzanne and Fritz