Monday, May 5, 2008

Footers

We did the foundation points for the wrack shed today, six footers, a bag of concrete each, with a piece of rebar in the middle, which, by drilling a hole in the center of each post is our primary attachment, doesn't seem like enough, but when you think about it, when the wind is blowing strong the posts are bending, slightly, and friction becomes an issue. When you float a roof on six posts you are building a kite, I'm not an engineer, but feel that if I 'hurricane clip' everything together it has a certain mass, and friction figures in my ersatz conception as imagined. I've run some numbers, though I wouldn't trust my math, I'd love to know, really, how many gallons of water flow over the spillway, any specific spillway, per inch per linear foot. I just want to know. I know what a great many things weigh. You might consider it useless knowledge. You might be right, or at least correct. I lose track, living alone, as I do, can't account for large tracks of time. I must have been doing something, probably reading, even cutting back, in the interest of yard work and wrack shed, I read for four hours a day, and it seems perfectly natural., as does most everything else I do. I strive toward the natural though it means a significant decrease in earnings. Really, I have to make more money, I need to finish my house, I have books to write, and yet, now, I allow myself to be sucked into an installation. Go figure. I thought I understood this drainage, but Jenny set me straight, I knew nothing, less than that, less than nothing, how is that even possible? D had never had something come out on the same foot, no left-over concrete, but he did a decent samba. I'd vote him in. I'm blessed with you, someone i can talk to, what more could anyone ask?

No comments: