Saturday, May 10, 2008

Food Thoughts

Actually D is ready to curate and he'll be good at it, Sara needs to take time off and she has groomed him well, the next couple of years at the museum should be fun. Took the day off, sipped sun-tea and read Basho, then rereading sections of T. E. Lawrence, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom". Watching a cooking show at lunch (morel omelet with salsa, potato wedges, sour-dough toast with pepper jam) and veering off from a dish they cooked, "America's Test Kitchen" (cable or dish would kill me, I'd watch cooking shows and the History Channel a lot) spent the afternoon making a very nice chili with chicken thighs, green enchilada sauce, and several very good reconstituted dried chilis Jana had sent from NYC. Onions, garlic, cumin, thickened with a cup of cooked and food-processed pintos. Rubbed and browned the thighs, then started adding things, leftover white wine to thin it a bit at the beginning, took the thighs out after a while and pulled the meat apart, so this would be a Pulled Chicken Thigh Green Chili. It is excellent, never had anything quite like it; later in the season I'll add some Tomatillos. Had some sour cream, so a scoop of that, and a little lime juice. Next winter I'll bake cornbread sticks to go with it. People will die. I was going to make some horseradish dressed coleslaw to go with, but I just forgot, drinking a cheap but robust Shiraz. In the late fall this would be a very seductive meal, speaking of which, I don't know enough about artichokes, must research artichokes: there is a monster globular variety at the market now and it scares me. I mention it because I find eating artichokes sexy. I'm not a control freak, you can ask anyone who's ever worked with me, I'm, like, the easiest person in the world to work with; I don't like waves, which makes me a partical guy, right, words rather than music. That's not what I mean, it's close, but not exactly, I don't split hairs near as well as B, though I am a damned good janitor, mandate me to a section of dirty floor, and it's as good as cleaned, I deal with shit as a matter of course. Basho

Boozy on blossom -
dark rice
white sake.

No comments: