Saturday, May 24, 2008

Different Fox

Came and got the apples. Maybe the male feeding her in the den. Female stays home until weaning. Remember starting to write a book, Cape Cod, winter, called "The Fox, The Girl, And The Honey" (a nice little Levi-Strauss triplet) and gave up the project because I was getting too abstract. Think I have the piece in a retired bookbag, maybe look for it tomorrow. Remember writing about the little white-phase fox on the ice. Wonder what I meant by 'too abstract'. The morning cutting brush, easy work sessions, inside, for equal amounts of time, drinking coffee and reading the wonderful Alphabetical Novel, great historical quotes, great cross references. I use a piece of card stock as a bookmark and note page numbers, a pencil dot on the page in question marks the spot, I'll print pages with key words and page numbers and put in the front of each volume, setting up a treasure hunt for myself. Need to rearrange the dictionary table and I have some problems. It's a six foot long thirty inch deep slab of sandstone on filing cabinets and it is large enough but I keep other things there too, the phones and books, and two piles of manuscripts and important stuff to be saved. Must eliminate the two piles and put in a shelf for the OED, maybe move The Yale Shakespeare, but I need it 10 or 12 times a year, and besides, use it to support the broken spine of The Random House Unabridged, which is the dictionary that is always open to the last word I looked up. The last time I was at B's, looking for the ashtray he keeps for guests, I noticed he had more dictionaries than I did, wow, I thought, what a ridge. Even with the power off, and Google too, we can look up almost anything. I got A Serbo-Croataion dictionary last week, at the Good-Will for 59 cents, I don't understand a word, but I like that I have it, you never know. Planning for the unperdictable is a challenge. But not one I shy from. Brash enough to imagine I might notch a 'save', count coup, put a feather in my cap (the subtext is triplets), or simply thinking ahead, talking about options, viewing the situation.

Country roads,
garbage mama,
take me home.

I have nothing against the memory of John Denver. Don't take that the wrong way. What I mean to say is that talent is never directly linked to success. I'm priviledged to read the best minds of my generation, blessed with a mind that can tell, usually, what is what, I think about things and look closely, it's a gift, ok, I try not to think about it, but it is, fucking gift, the universe, all that dark matter, what you meant.

No comments: