Sunday, May 18, 2008

Jargon

Sections (of land) are numbered in a pattern that is boustrophedonic (turning like oxen pulling a plow, back and forth) but then surveying, generally, is arcane, rods and chains. I mean what kind of measurement is sixteen and a half feet, a rod, or 66 feet, a chain? Reading an essay on Installation Art, ran across the phrase "Post-Minimalist Procedural Candor" which dictates we see attachments and power cords. About which, as it happens, just recently, D and I had an argument. Your usual discussion between the Curator and the Janitor about what means what. Pretty sure I was correct about intent. Big windy day after morning rains, trees swinging through 40 degrees of arc. I hear a tree fall, NE of the house, down-slope, go out to investigate, a standing dead Chestnut Oak that broke off below the first branch and flattened the shinnery, took out the thicket, I'll need another path to harvest the firewood. Notice that I seasonally change the manner of my walk: if I need to be in the woods, late spring, summer, early fall, I walk with a heavy step, snakes are sensitive to vibration, whereas the rest of the year, and in my house, I tread lightly. Interesting, isn't it, that we know our own walk so well, that we can adjust for a new pair of shoes, thickness of sole. I have a habit of watching people walk, and when the light is right, you can clearly see there isn't much clearance between heel and ground. High-Heels are the Western equivalent to bound feet. At Janitor College we were a fairly Libertarian bunch, but one point of agreement was that High-Heels were the work of Satan, the pounds per square inch they brought to bear could destroy marble floors, hardwood was no barrier, they ate ceramic tiles for breakfast. The attraction, for whatever reason, is what happens to the lower leg muscles, it becomes sexy, and all is forgiven, that you can't walk, but the muscle definition is perfect. What constitutes perfect? In this case there are vague guidelines, what you like to see impressed over a general image, a kind of map, overlapping diagrams. It's information, you beat it in, one yolk at a time.

Tom

Listen, I'm not a simple guy, but I can pass,
talk the talk and walk the walk, the final
image for me, as we fade to black, is always
the next thing, where do we go from here?

No comments: