Saturday, July 7, 2012

Divertissement

An anchor might fix a particular location, or two would be better, to control drift in either direction. As though there were only two. You'd have to fix all the various psychological positions, and that becomes more problematic. Who is anyone to say? I'm a tinker. I nose around in things, I don't even think about it, a pile of shit warrants my attention. The power is interrupted about once an hour as the temps, yesterday at 5:30 hovered at a 100 degrees, then 103 today, at two in the afternoon. I must have reset the AC a dozen times since getting home from work yesterday. I can't boot up so I eat well (steak and eggs, avocados, some sweet potato fries) and read a novel, by a guy I'd met, who read at the museum, Donald Ray Pollock, "The Devil All The Tine", which is dark, cruel, and often quite funny. The electricity stays on enough that I can keep the house bearable, though the temp does climb back up, during the afternoon, from 75 to almost 85 degrees before it starts cooling off around 8:00. Don't remember the heat ever hitting me this hard. I went out back to pee around three this afternoon and I nearly passed out. Fortunately D went to the library with me yesterday, and I ended up checking out three books, which will just about last the three-day weekend. The Pollock, the Chuck Palahniuk rewrite of his first novel "Invisible Monsters", and for regional color, the newest Nevada Barr, because I know the country she writes about and I like to be taken back there. The desert southwest is a lovely place. Works, as escapist fiction, for me. I have a huge amount of food, most of which doesn't need cooking, sardines and vine ripened tomatoes, gherkins, olives, a stinky cheese I'd been wanting to sample. The usual sleeve of saltines. Someone had left a mystery smoked meat in my mailbox.

No comments: