Saturday, July 21, 2012

Opera

Busy afternoon and evening yesterday. Toured a large group, 30 or more, through the entire museum. Interesting, bright group of adults, Leadership Council or some such, from the Tri-State area (Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky). Flirted shamelessly with a couple of women, one of whom made a date to come back and tour the permanent collection. She seemed genuinely interested in my knowledge of Carter, as her parents own one. The local universe. As soon as they were out of the museum, we had to set up for a major classical music event, then fold and insert an eight page program into lovely, exposed deckle, 2 color cover; all of which D had created in a single day. I was supposed to go home, but a severe thunder storm hit at 4:30, and there was no chance I was going to brave the driveway. We needed the rain, and the musical event was looking to be large enough that another body would be useful. I ended up, as I often do, as the server of wine, and doing a brisk trade, because of my banter. I know most of the people, and keep my personal jug of bourbon in the kitchen for pouring a select few what I know they would rather drink than an extremely mediocre wine. The event is fantastic. Faith and Stan are both great singers, international, great voices, and they blend beautifully together; and it was a great program, if you like that kind of stuff. They did duets and solos from "La Traviata" and "Carmen". I worked Beverly Sills last "Traviata", with the whole sick crew, in Boston, and I hadn't listened to it since, it was nice to hear again. Took advantage of the empty museum, this morning, stripped down in the kitchen, took a sponge bath, washed my hair, shaved; running water is such a cool concept, HOT running water? you have to be kidding. I've been looking at some things closely, recently: American watercolors from the twentieth century, landforms and drainage, all of Carter's work. Three things. I can usually hold three things in my head, at any given time, cross reference and make some comparisons; there might, or might not, be any connection. I just look at things as they occur. It's a matter of taking the time.

No comments: