Monday, June 3, 2013

Another Aspect

Social situations, you mix the demographics. Ankles and short skirts are part of it. Cathexis is the word that comes to mind. Libidinal energy. Sex drives situational politics. TR was able to determine exactly which feet I was looking at; I shouldn't be surprised, I strive toward transparency. Several times, during the evening, I forgot what I was saying. Sexist, to say, of course, that bend of bay, but it is, nonetheless. I'd gone out coon hunting, this was years ago, in Mississippi, with a group of good-old-boys, and we'd stopped to build a twig fire, to heat some water for a toddy. Say what you will, stopping for a toddy, the mere act of stopping, is a big deal. Not for me, I'd rather stop and look at something than not, but most everyone else is in a hurry, and they miss the finer points. Mark and Charlotte start full-time next week, and as soon as we figure out the job descriptions, we should be off and running. Now I guess it's 'up and running'. So green outside that it's almost painful. Overcast all day, though it never rained, then just before sunset, the clouds blew away and the dappled light was blinding. Found a last clutch of morels, though it cost me too many ticks to count, had the last three rounds of homemade polenta (left over grits I stuffed into one of the several cans I keep for just that procedure), and went for the obvious. Fried the polenta rounds in very hot peanut oil, set them aside, then caramelized half a shallot, which took nearly an hour, but I was reading a book, so it didn't matter, and set them aside; fried the morels in the same skillet, in a goodly chunk of butter, with lots of fresh-ground black pepper, added the shallots, nuked the polenta. I had two rounds smothered in mushrooms and sauce, and the last with butter and maple syrup. Sinfully good. I could do this on acorn mush, and it'd be even better, in terms of nutrition. Kim tomorrow, then the new world order on Tuesday. Blue turns to black, west to east; some evenings I take out my Selma rocking chair, and watch the gloaming, a force of habit. But it gets dark everywhere, eventually.

No comments: