Friday, June 14, 2013

Derecho

Tuesday and half of Wednesday cleaning, then, after lunch yesterday, I started hanging the Tami Beldue drawings. So beautiful, look her up on-line. Charlotte and I spent all morning, today, hanging the front wall, which was composed of 18 encaustic drawings, in three rows, set tight. All the pieces were the same size. A difficult installation. We played around with it for several hours. Great fun. Then I finished hanging the rest of the show. Charlotte did everything at the Springfield Museum, curate, transport, install, and she's not used to having help that knows as much as she does about aspects of dealing with art. She complemented me today on how well and how fast I work, hanging wall pieces. We never did get the storm that was predicted, went north of us, but when I got home today I saw that the power had indeed been out, last night, and I had been better off sipping a pint and a wee dram with John Hogan himself over at the pub, than worrying about what the driveway would be like and reading by candle light on the hottest day of the year so far. Fuck a bunch of discomfort. In an air-conditioned space, that someone else was paying for, I watched an episode of Longmire, and one of The Glades, then a couple of cooking shows, spread my down pallet on the floor, and went to sleep. I don't have the stamina I used to have, but I still have the focus. B came over, after he heard me come in today, so we could talk about Howard coming down this weekend and the meal we were going to fix. There are complications, but nothing that can't be explained away. Your adopted daughter's father, for instance, who was probably a serial killer. Pay attention, is all I'm saying. Charlotte curses like a sailor, when she thinks she's alone. An endearing characteristic. I tend to mumble imprecations myself, when the occasion demands. Hanging three rows tight is a challenge. You start with the center row, and the center line of that row, and keep it as level as possible, but there are too many variables, and you have to redo things, sometimes several times. It could be considered maddening, but I actually enjoy the challenge. I know I can't be perfect, but I'd like to approach that state. At some point you have to acknowledge the curvature of the earth. The nature of a straight line. I only ever knew one person who could draw a perfect circle freehand. The rest of us deal in ovals. Rugby rather than soccer. The oblate. Still, I like my chances.

No comments: