Tuesday, June 18, 2013

World Spinning

Asphalt is burning tonight. Crazy old fart. Takes you back. Slide guitar. I remember that. Boxcar Blues. Sunshine, blue skies. Good to see you, been a long time. Every town I pass seems like home. My dog died, and my sweetheart left me. One of those trains leaving tomorrow, sure got a long way to go, my sorrow. Not to mention, we walked together, come what may. We helped each other stay alive. Water flows downhill. A penny whistle and a mandolin. Linda knows what I mean. No small feat. All of those days. Bring in the bagpipes. Dance, standing in place, go down to London town. Another entire day reading word origins. I think I could have been a lexicographer. The library called, and I have two Greenblat books that are in on inter-library loan. Going to reread "The Swerve", taking notes this time, for a lecture I'm supposed to give on the beginnings of the Renaissance. I suddenly know a lot about that period, 1417 - 1500, interesting times. The other book is on Shakespeare, who's death (1616), it can be argued, probably closes the period. I'm developing a pretty good line of talk, dates and numbers, interesting facts. I'm both a sponge and a Jack-Dawn. And within the next couple of weeks I'll have a bunch of Chinese readers, which is very cool. I'm looking forward to reading for them. I had a great many very fresh eggs, so I made a chipotle mayonnaise that goes very well on a sliced loin sandwich. I'm careful to scoop up all the blackened bits when I slice the loin, and sprinkle them on top. This is a very good sandwich, with sweet onion slices on the side. Heaven forbid I should have to talk to anyone, especially because I remembered the Kimchi Howard had brought, and I just ate it right out of the jar. Excellent stuff. Cleans your sinuses. I love it on scrambled eggs. After dinner, I had some on crackers, with sweet gherkins and a stinky cheese. Like Dorian, right? Some things don't taste what they smell like, thank god. Certain blue cheeses smell like dirty sneakers, but I'd never eat a dirty sneaker, as an example. Under other circumstances, it might be an option. Some Gorgonzola on toast points. A blood sausage, head-cheese, cod fish cakes composed entirely of cheeks and tongues, I've been around the track, I understand the language, what passes for the language, the patois. I have to go, best to you and yours.

No comments: