Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Hornpipe and Fugue

A panoply of song. Maybe it's the moon. Ash and clay. Across the county line, in a cheap motel, love and laughter. I have to mute the radio and kill the breaker for the fridge, bug noise is a natural solution, for what ails you, in a literal sense. I can't have a conversation with anyone anymore that they're not texting or playing Scrabble with someone in France. It's annoying that everyone is at the beck of whatever call. Rainy, so I spent all day reading about The Renaissance. Such a surge against the walls that had been built around individuality and curiosity. Giordano Bruno was an interesting dude. Jerome. Anyone with even an idea of not taking the church dogma at face-value was burned at the stake, which tends to cut down on free-thinking. Botticelli's Primavera directly references Lucretius's De Rerum Natura. Had to go for a little walk to clear my head, two hard days of reading had given me a headache. A thunder storm had moved through (I got ten gallons of water in five minutes) and the air felt alive. When I got back home I heated three gallons of water, shaved, washed my newly cut hair (takes a lot less water to wash) and took a full sponge bath standing on a towel in front of the kitchen sink. I vacuumed today and even the house was a little cleaner. Made a list of the things I need for making kimchi. I need a colander, where the hell did my colander get to? Some fish sauce, some ginger root; then next weekend, a head of Napa Cabbage, a head of garlic, a large sweet onion (I'm substituting sweet onion for daikon radish); I have a lot of ground and liquid peppers. That's it. You just cut up the cabbage, cover it with water, cover the bowl, let it sit at room temperature for a day, drain, rinse, then mix everything together and pack in a non-reactive vessel, covered for another day at room temp, then in the fridge for a week, and it's ready. This is easier than making bread, and making bread is simple. Recipe says it makes six pints, so when I open the last one, I start a new batch. I had beans on toast with kimchi on top, tonight, and it was quite good. I'm thinking about opening a restaurant on the ridge, ferry service provided, for maybe four or as many as eight diners, who would eat whatever I was cooking that night. KIMCHEE. Book a night and take your chances.

No comments: