Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Circus Lecture

Foremost authority in North America, we flew in on a Humanities grant, gave a nice power-point presentation and talk. Woman knows her circus. Wine and mixed nuts. With mixed nuts people tend to pick. I raised peanuts for years in Missip (the tops make great hay) and still love them dearly, so I am not usually a picker, just grab a handful, and shake them into my mouth. I do, however, love filberts and no one was taking them. Working at the Jefferson House, in Winchester, Virginia, there were lots of nut trees and bushes. Filberts are bushes (that can get large) that like their feet near water, and along the outflow of a small spring, someone had planted them on both sides. The one fall I was there I must have picked and roasted 30 pounds. In Missip they were wild along streams. I love them, I make a nut butter with them that is transcendent. Winter coming on, I've started thinking about oils and fats. That, of course, is one of the things that makes acorns such a good food for storage. A pemmican of acorn meal and jerky would be handy to have around, when you didn't want to cook. I might make some, I've read about pemmican forever, but I've never made any. You need two rocks, some acorn meal, some jerky, and maybe a drop or two of walnut oil to start the amalgamation. Sounds like something I'd do on a date. "Hey, you ever made pemmican before?" My younger daughter (I do love the comparative) calls and we laugh about a great many things. She may move here, to establish residency, so she could go to Ohio schools cheaply, and she is the only person I could live with, so it works for me; she understands my habits, she wants to write, I can't imagine a better place to be. I imagine, calling across, "I'm tensing a verb", and she replies, the very fact that she replies, is beyond the pale. "Did you come up with anything", I am not a role model, I don't want my girls using me as any kind of template. I'm a sorry model. I wear the same thing ever day. A creature of habit. I assume you'd have to change that look by the way you felt. But that wouldn't necessarily explain anything. What is is a mere diffraction of light. Look again. What did you think you saw.

No comments: