Saturday, October 31, 2009

Two Objectives

Paint the blue wall in the small galley (I taped the baseboard and door trim yesterday) and pack up the Cake Show. Mary Poppins' walk down to the truck, twirling my umbrella. Hard rain in the early morning and I have to stop at the lake, experience the spillway, set out a couple of roadkill squirrels for the crows. They watch suspiciously but I'm not back in my truck more than a minute before they investigate what I've brought them. It must be terribly annoying to have to hop away from your meal every few minutes so a vehicle can drive through your dining room. I bring roadkill home and if I can't make a meal off it, put it on top of the outhouse for the three buffoons. They crack me up, a comedy routine, I'm learning to speak a little crow from watching their show. Language by osmosis. Successful repair and paint job in the small gallery. Tape residue is a pain in the ass. I used a damp foam sanding block yesterday, and it is paintable today but the texture is slightly different. No one will notice. Packing the cake show takes no time at all. D and I watch the Cirque performance, because the cast threatened us, and I still get home early, start a fire from the Wrack Show, heat cider for a toddy. It's a different world from a week ago, the leaves mostly gone, and it's somber, dampened. A prelude to winter. I can feel it in my bones when I go out to pee. "This is it, pretty baby..." and are you ready to play? Preparation for winter is such a large part of my life, strange really, but it doesn't seem strange to me, consider your latitude and do what you must. More a mandate than a prerequisite. I'm better prepared than I've been for several years. I scoff at your winter winds, your ice-storms, throw your best natural disaster at me and I will merely seek higher ground and hibernate. There are moments, in the early hours, where I defer to myself, I know I'm wrong, that isn't the issue, but I wonder what I'm doing. Why am I here, what am I doing. I don't have a clue. It's a short loop, I feed myself and write. I should be able to predict a pattern. But of course I can't. Because it hasn't happened yet. We'll talk about that later.
Tom

I'm pretty good, your looking
for a closer, I could do that,
throw straight strikes.

No comments: