Thursday, October 29, 2009

Like Chickens

Two power-point presentations, two different rooms, one projector. A pain in the ass, but there are sufficient reasons, therefore I'll make it happen, as long as it doesn't interfere with my lunch. A new rule I just made up today. I'm not big on rules, generally, but I like to flirt with Lindsay at the pub. The leaf situation is reaching critical mass, I always forget this part, it doesn't last long, where the leaves are more than ankle deep, and you track them everywhere. Leaves in your socks, leaves in your pocket. The front deck is an installation, "Leaf Litter", that changes day by day. My truck was so buried this morning I came back in for the broom. The pot holes are a total amalgam. I could make a screen with a deckle and pull sheets of leaf paper. Tonight is the designated Trick-Or-Treat night in Scioto County and marks 30 years that I've never seen a kid in a costume at my door. I don't wear costumes, so I miss all those parties. I get a small bar of bitter-sweet chocolate at Kroger and eat one square. I'll make something for the staff with the rest of it. I don't do sweets. Key Lime Pie is my only dessert, I make maybe three or four a year, eat a slice and give the rest away. I bought four pounds of sugar last year, most of it I took in tea. I bought a scant five pounds of flour, I don't do any baking anymore, there were years when I bought fifty pounds of wheat berries and ground my own flour, almost daily, baking everything under the sun. Now I buy a loaf of whole grain bread every other week. We change, over time, for years I raised everything I ate, now I raise nothing but a few herbs. I wanted to slap someone, yes, this is what I do now. Emily, you know, up there on the second floor. We could probably live together, you up there, and me down here. I'm almost flexible, consider what you might say. Hey, all I was doing was driving home. Take Plato's main point, that the artist is dangerous, I'm not sure we still really see it that way. Emily goes a lot of different places, she's always one step ahead. I thought of several things that might happen, and none of them did. Blow it off and get on with your day.

Tom

Like crows, chickens
peck an order, look
where the blood runs.

No comments: