Sunday, October 11, 2009

Peace and Quiet

I needed a day off. Some of Glenn's work visible at ridgeposts.blogspot.com check it out. A bit of cleaning but mostly spent the day reading and eating, mentally dead. Hanging a show this large, dealing with all the things that come up, attachment, is totally exhausting. End of yesterday, I was fried. The illusion of an illusion. It occurs to me that I can make acorn-butter. I have a small fire in the cookstove, so I put on a pot of shelled nuts, maybe a quart and a half, I keep another pot of water on the stove, change the water every half-hour for four hours. Now I know why I thought to do this, James researched the food value of acorns and said there was a lot of fat, just remembered that conversation. I spread the nuts out on a cookie sheet and dry/bake them in the oven, only at 250 degrees because I don't need a hot fire, I'll experiment with higher temps later this winter, you know, toast them. As they dry them I cut them into smaller pieces, as they get drier, I grind them in a mortar with a pestle, I've got a great large one picked up at a yard-sale, not to a meal or anything, just smallish pieces, so the little food-processor (I don't remember where this came from) doesn't die on me. I need some liquid, some oil, to get started, and I've got some walnut oil I use for a killer salad dressing, and as there is no sweetness and almost no taste I decide to use a little maple syrup, and some salt. You could use any type of honey, to alter the taste of this, but it's surprisingly good and sticks to anything. I like celery, for that burst of liquid, and for it's ability to carry dips. I'll take you there, the cemetery, wherever, it might take me a while, to understand, but I usually get the point. Step into the light, walk on through. This neighborhood. Is there something I should say?

No comments: