Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Rhumb Lines

The evanescence of lake vapor is a lovely thing, I had to stop and watch. The fall color is coming on apace, big red maples along the Ohio are particularly spectacular. Lower and internal leaves are still dark green, but the outer leaves have turned a striking mercurochrome. An impressive display. Red maples line the Ohio in this area, they seem to be able to digest petrochemicals and do well in the flood-plain. Side bar: Mordant Rouge, a solution of aluminum acetate in acetic acid, used in calico printing, is also called red liquor. Memory is weird. I have a set of things labeled 'things I don't want to remember' but, sure as shit, something goes in that file and I remember it. I have to pay special attention, reread, fucked from the get go. It's hard to not remember what you specifically wanted to forget. Bullock in the china shop. Thank god I worked Saturday, today disappeared, almost totally, I saved the day by gluing and sealing 30 pages of labels, another 20 to go, but I'm well begun. The problem was that one of the internal set of lights in one of the diaramas wasn't working and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I don't understand electricity, but I've done enough wiring to know that something is broken, and I don't know what. I took apart and re-soldered joints, replaced the cord, did everything I know how to do. Traced power back to the piece, therefore the line coming out of the piece is flawed. I'm sure I can fix the problem, but it's consumed hours already. And now I have to splice another feed. Electronics are cool, but they almost always screw up. My power fails at the drop of a hat. I'd call me tenuous, at best.

No comments: