Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Almost Done

Again, if there was a schedule, other than my mental calculations, I'd be where I need to be. Surprised myself. Everything installed. D came in after I had left yesterday, and lit the show, put up the vinyl signage. He even focused lights on places where I hadn't yet hung paintings and got them almost exactly right. All I had to do was nudge them a bit. The show looks great. The first time, for most of these kids, that their work is treated professionally; lights, labels, and perfect alignment centered at 57 inches. I have to finish putting the labels on the wall and take a couple of loads of packing materials, and tools, the job-box, to the basement. One small drawing got lost, but we found it, TR did, in the bottom of a box, covered by another box, in Pegi's office. I have a place to hang it, but it's no big deal, ten minutes. Leo came in and got out the tables and chairs, and the big screen, for the power-point presentation of awards at the reception. I might stay for the beginning of that, because I know some of the kids (of course, they're not really kids), and for the display of personality. I almost remember being that young and acting out whatever it was. It's good to be ahead, because I need to think about taking three tours through on Friday, what I'm going to say. This is a new teacher at the college, and I want to engage her, and her students. I'm going now to fry a perfect egg, and have it on buttered toast, with what you might call a morel sauce. A thing I do with wild mushrooms and butter, black pepper and an herb, you can take this any direction you want, this particular one is just a couple of scallions, a fried egg on top; this is so good, I eat two of them, just to prove my point. Good eggs and wild mushrooms are an unbeatable combination. Whatever you do. You could serve this on the sole of an old boot. Pre-chewed walrus hide isn't that bad, assuming there was someone willing to pre-chew. Walrus cracklings are ok, but always taste a bit muddy. What I like about finishing a hog on whey and corn, so that the meat was so sweet, it was almost unbelievable, sugars are so water soluble that they all come off in the whey.You can cook this down, to a great spreadable cheese, if you have a wood cookstove going all day, otherwise, you couldn't afford it. You have to stir it a lot. but that isn't a problem for me, I stir as a matter of course. Old paint, and more recent girlfriends, it's an amalgam of sticky situations. Still, it's awkward that no one comes forward to accept the blame. Maybe I'm wrong.

No comments: