Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Installation

Big winds sound like a fright-train on the ridgetop. Lost power last night, read by oil-lamp until the susurration of the wind put me to sleep. To the museum early on Monday, TR joined me for the morning. We took down the photography show and wrapped it. After lunch he left. I stripped hardware, patched & repaired, sanded, painted the walls, then painted the two extra pedestals that were needed for 3-D work. Long day, sore feet, but I'm kind of on the schedule that I set out for myself, and as long as somebody else sets up for the opening reception I should be fine. Today I had the lights on, hanging art work at 8:30. You chose a wall, run the numbers twice, and hang the pieces. Doing it alone is quite different from doing it with another person. When D and I hang a show together (as we have, dozens) I do the numbers and he hangs the work; when TR and I work together, he runs the numbers and I do the hanging. When you're working alone you have to wear a couple of hats and switch modes. It's more than twice as fast to do this with two people, which is just an observation, because I actually like doing everything myself, unless the piece is so large or heavy that it absolutely requires another person. Not a complaint, is what I mean. And as it turns out time is not a factor, because I got 40 of the 50 pieces installed today, and TR is going to be there all day tomorrow, so we can clean up and do the labels, finish the show with most of a day to spare. Which is always a factor in my equations, because something will happen. Interrupted a couple of times today, both of them perfect interruptions. I needed to un-focus. Two of Lane's students needed to tour the folk-art show, and I respect Lane and his knowledge, and am flattered that he knew I'd take his students through; then the new hire in the art department, Fatima, came over and asked if I'd take three of her classes through the entire museum on Friday. I readily agree because Sharee had asked to be specifically available if Fatima asked to bring her classes over. I am the docent of choice, mostly because I read a lot and talk a line of talk. I love that last postscript, good form. The wind is increased to a gale. If these young leaves weren't so firmly attached, we'd be looking at fall again. Finn again. I spend a lot of time in an Irish pub, it's hard not to become Irish.

Tom

I cooked some morels, nothing special, some butter, salt and pepper, served them on an angel-hair pasta, there was a fresh, green, Mexican herb I'm forgetting. a different taste, an oregano.

No comments: